Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Last night, around 6:00 pm a North Thurston High School student, Will Johnston died in a car accident.

I hadnt heard about it until I got to school.  I have heard people say that when someone dies in a school, everybody is sad. I honestly didnt believe that this could be true. But today, everybody at NTHS was sad. People were crying all over the place, and all of the teachers seemed down.  No one talked. Lunch was almost silent. 

Will Johnston was a Christian and was going to be graduating this year.  I knew Will.  I sat next to him in my second period class.  He was the class clown, he was hilarious, nice, energetic, loved God, was a people person, and was so excited for college and for baseball.  It is so weird for me to think that just yesterday I talked to him, he made me laugh, he went to school, he went to a volleyball game, he was just living life. And now... its gone.  When I walked into second period, the room was absolutly silent. People cried, and I sat there thinking about how Will will never sit in Digital Imaging again... The saddest part was when his best friend came up to his desk and wrote a note that simply said, "I miss you Will". Then EVERYBODY lost it and was crying. Although Will and I were not the closest friends, I knew him and we talked everyday in second period.  Today in Bible club we talked about ways that we could help out his family, how we support his family, but most importantly we talked about where Will is now.  Will was a strong Christian and he believed that Jesus was the son of God and died on the cross for our sins.  Will and I talked about it once.  Imagine how happy he is now, imagine what he is experiencing RIGHT NOW! He is with God.... RIGHT NOW! He is in heaven... RIGHT NOW! No longer does he feel pain, no longer is he stressed about that essay that was due on Friday, no longer does he have to put up with the crap here on earth.  He is in heaven now.... and one day, I will get to see him again and tell him what an impact he made on our school.

On Friday, after the football game their will be a candle light service for Will at South Sound Field.  If you attend North Thurston or just wish to attend, please come, wear red, and support Will and his family.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Amanda! That was so well written. Breaks my heart reading it. I just think of his parents. It would be like losing Collin, which I cannot fathom. A couple weeks ago an 18 year old up at Western was missing and quite a few days later was found, but he died too. And at the same time there was a little girl that was killed crossing the street with her mom at a crosswalk. A teenage girl from the high school caused the accident. So many people are hurting in this world. It's such a broken place. Heaven seems a little bit more touchable everyday. Its hard to be both happy and sad for Will all at the same time. Your perspective helps to process life's hard things. Thanks for the clear way you direct others to the truth and to Christ. You encourage me.

    ReplyDelete